- One 32 ounce bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (shredded or diced type - I like the consistency of the diced type, but either is fine). Leave frozen and do not cook.
- One 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup (cream of celery or cream of mushroom is also great if you want to make this meat-free)
- 16 ounce container of sour cream (light or no-fat is fine)
- 3 cups of shredded cheese (I use cheddar but any type of cheese that melts nicely will do)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Mix everything together and place evenly in a greased, deep (3"+) 3-quart baking or casserole dish (or disposable aluminum chafing dishes which fit in 1/2 of a chafer).
- If you're not baking immediately, cover and put in refrigerator overnight
- Bake 350 F uncovered for at least 60 minutes, or until hot and bubbling